ESSMEE (East Somerset Society of Model & Experimental Engineers) is the society that created The Bath and West Steam Railway based at the Bath and West Showground near Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
The society is mostly known for its engineering capabilities and as such as the name implies, the makers of engineered items. We have been known to create aircraft engines, locomotives, traction engines, coaches and wagons. We are also known for offering train rides to the public and have fun using the extensive railway on its ½ mile track during major events at the showground. Over the four days of the Bath & West the society carried over 8,500 passengers, pulling passengers on its 7¼" gauge track with both steam and diesel locomotives.
Naturally there is more, much more...
- The track is one of the longest in Somerset supporting both 5" and 7¼" steam or diesel locomotives.
- As well as the track, the main compound includes
- clubhouse & fully equipped workshop
- equipment storage
- marshalling yards
- extensive signalling
- The society owns two locomotives built by members
- The society offers Driver Training with taster sessions on its Driver Experience days.
- Several members keep their locomotives at the club
- Members of the society make model engineering other than just trains
The society is a friendly place and guidance and help are always available to members. You might want to read our Mission Statement on the About page.
We are always looking for new members so if you wish to join a friendly helpful bunch whose primary love is running electric or steam locomotives contact us!